Monday, November 29, 2010

My kids babysitter and my husbands girlfriend

I got a haircut this weekend. It was very very VERY much needed. It wasnt just a regular haircut though, at least not for me. . . . I saw a *stylist*. It was my first REAL haircut, not a drive through chain haircut, but a good, professional styling. It was SO exciting! A high school friend recommended her stylist to me, and I made an appointment. Ive had this date for 2 weeks. Maybe even a day or so more. . . . I scheduled this pre-moving and pre-thanksgiving. I was actually hoping to have a new 'do' for all of the holidays. Thanksgiving just missed the cut (pun not intended. . ahahaha. . . ha. . ) This lovely woman is only in West LA doing hair on the weekends, and we couldnt make a time until after turkey day, and the move. BUMMER!!!!

Suffice it to say, I was EXCITED!!! I was also, however, clueless. I have never really known what to do with my hair. I got myself a CHI straightener a while back, and loved having it straight. Curls seemed less manageable than 20 minutes with my straightening iron. Fast forward though and I have twins, and 20 minutes wasted on a straightener just isnt worth it. Actually, a lot of the things I used to do seem 'not worth' the time they take now. For the longest time, and even now at times, if I had a 'spare' 20 minutes, I wanted to SLEEP!! I used to shower twice a day - no, Im not gross, I just really enjoy bathing! There was a time where I had 5+ shower gels in my shower and almost HAD to shower multiple times just to get a chance to use all my 'stuff':) Think Bath and Body works Country Apple!!

These, and other things, have taken to the back burner since becoming a mama. I have control issues, and work daily on the fact that I can no longer accomplish most tasks in a single attempt. I struggle with having to stop suddenly to tend to a toddler or two, and at times, a husband. I believe that by nature, I am task oriented. I really enjoy taking something on and completing it, end to end. OCD? Maybe, but its the truth. . . All this being said, I just have a hard time starting things when I dont think I can complete it, or if I am unsure as to when I can be finished. So? I stopped ironing my hair. I get frustrated when the kitchen isnt cleaned up right away. I am nervous when our schedule os off kilter - this one is really pretty justified though, but I am working on it.

It came to my attention that I spent a lot of time being frustrated or planning for any hiccup that might come along. While planning can be good sense, I can get ahead of the crazy curve at times. The bottom line is that we can handle anything, including a napless day. . . sucky as it might be. (i will fight to the death for naps though. . . ) I began to think back to when I was in high school and college, and was a babysitter. I was a rockin babysitter! I had several steady families that always called my first. The first time I sat for on of these families, I put the kids to bed, and the mother called me the next morning. She wanted to know how I got her daughter, 6 or 7 at the time, to let me braid her hair! I didnt really know. . . she just let me do it. Mom was jealous but thrilled for a morning without a tangled mess on her daughters pretty little head:) We played games, watched movies, hid and sought. . it was great. Most nights, I even cleaned up after dinner and got the toys put away. Probably another reason they kept calling me back:) So, other than the obvious differences - the fact that I am the mama now, we are financially, medically, legally, etc, responsible for these kids - what changed? Why couldnt I be my kids babysitter? Be chill about all things, so long as we are SAFE. Being a mama of toddlers should be FUN, right?? Sure, there is stress involved, but come on. . . . it is fun!

I tried it out the other night. I was alone, putting the kids to bed in our new place. I was nervous at first. After all, bedtime in our old place was difficult. We never really childproofed there since we knew we were leaving it soon. There wasnt room for anything, and it just wasnt comfortable. Things are different now, both in our new home and my head. I got the kids bathed, diapered and pajama-ed. We had a little bedtime snack, brushed our teeth and had our milk. Off to bed we went. The kitchen was a mess. The toys were everywhere. Hurricane E and N had blown through. I kept myself in the babysitter mindset. Tried not to think onto the next, next thing, and just kept to the task at hand. Things got mostly cleaned up, and I watched a movie. The kids got up, thankfully, one after the other, within an hour of being out to bed. I grabbed them, finished off their milk and back to bed they went, and back to the movie I went.

What does all this have to do with my haircut? Well, aside from the fact that my hair was cut hours before this hopping evening-in, it made me feel pretty:) I spent 2 glorious hours in a stylists chair. I picked a hairstyle from a magazine and watched this brilliant artist create it on my head from a picture. She brought me coffee and a cookie - FAB! I left feeling like a million bucks and had walked in looking like not so much. . . The chill attitude and cute hair cut reminded me more of my babysitting days. Back when I slept til 1 on the weekends, or days off from school, lol. When I showered as much as I wanted, spent however long on hair, changing outfits, talking on the phone, whatever. Some of these days coincided with being my husbands girlfriend. Back then, I had time and more importantly TOOK the time to cutify myself before we would go out. A far cry from the tossed up ponytail Ive been sporting for the last many many months. . .18+ actually. We have been married almost 6 years, and together for nearly 11. Id say thats pretty impressive, especially when you toss in two moves across the country, 15 months of bedrest and 18 month old twin boys. Ya. . . definitely impressive.

As Oprah says, Ive put myself back on the list. Ive began my medical maintenance again(dentist, physical, the normal stuff), and am getting back my cute self. Ive taken in 2 hours of hair therapy and that has reached the deepest part of my mind and soul. SOOOO terrific!!!

As much as I know I need to be my kids mother and my husbands wife, its also important to relax and be my kids babysitter and my husbands girlfriend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment