Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Twin / multiple kid friendly parks

**continuouslty updated post. boys are nearing 21 months now.

As a mother of nearly 19 month old twins, my park options have severely dwindled. Where we used to join our playgroup at all the parks, now, as I can only chase a running toddler so fast. Even with our family living nearby, there are only so many hours in a day where someone is available to chase with me because people have jobs! Soooo. . . . here is what we've been doing. . .



Irving Schachter Park, Beverlywood
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=irving+schachter+park&fb=1&gl=us&hq=irving+schachter+park&hnear=irving+schachter+park&cid=6121344263658565275
We recently discovered this park with the help of our playgroup as well! Its a bit more of a drive than I'd like for a park, BUT being that we have twins and therefore more restrictions on where I can take the kids on my own, its worth it. This park is also totally gated, but bigger than the toddler park in Playa Vista. It was a great time with plenty of space for the kids to run around and push our wagon along. It did make it more difficult to see where my boys were at any given moment. I was comfortable though because I was in a group of 5+ mamas who also watch out for everyones kiddos.

There is a lot of sand at this park and plenty of concrete for push toys and ride alongs.

Parking is on the street, no parking lot. Ive never had a problem though. I dont think there is street cleaning here, but make sure to check for signs.



Santa Monica Airport Park
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=santa+monica+airport+park&fb=1&gl=us&hq=airport+park&hnear=Santa+Monica,+CA&cid=5293622992095494220
It appears this listing, and the others I found, are for the dog park area. There IS a dog park, and its nice from what I have seen, but we got for the gated play area:) Not my favorite for the play stuff, and I HATE the slide there - its just too tall and I try very hard to get my boys to ignore it. Its a great park though because of the planes and helicopters coming in and out. They looooove all of that activity going on.

Lots of sand, and interesting play equipment. A decent amount of cement, but not ideal for push toys.

There is a large parking lot that is shared with the dog park. Ive never had a problem parking there.



Douglas Park, Santa Monica
http://www.yelp.com/biz/douglas-park-santa-monica
We checked this park out over the weekend. There is a duck pond, and little creek area on the grass. VERY cool, but not gated. I wouldnt go near it without someone to watch one of my kids while I had the other. Too easy to fall in to some nasty looking water. Some nearby moms told me how they had seen numerous kids fall in. Seriously. . . looks like you could get a staph infection from getting too close. BUT, very cool to walk around and see some nature off of Wilshire Blvd:)

The play area IS gated, but also rather large. I havent decided if I would venture there on my own with both boys. While being large, I can see across the entire playspace, but there are also 4 (I think) gated entrances to get into the play area, and its a bit too accessible for my taste.

A LOT of sand at this park, hardly any cement. There is an oval shaped cemented area just outside the gated playspace. Im not sure what its intended for, but its great for push toys!

Parking was rough, since it was a weekend day, but I saw some meters, and permit parking signs around. Be sure to bring change just in case and watch for the signs around!



Penmar Park, Venice
I havent yet been to this park, and will try to update after visiting. A friend of ours discovered this park, also gated in. This one has two play structures, so that part makes me nervous. I suppose it could be easier for a parent of a young child and another a bit older who doesnt need as much supervision. We will see!



Linnie Canal Park, Venice
We enjoyed this park this morning! Small, so I can see the whole park at once, and there is a gated off duck pond as well. AWESOME find, thanks to my playgroup buddy.
http://www.laparks.org/dos/parks/facility/canalPk.htm
gated and looks great!

This park is a near sand/grass split. There is a bit of concrete, but not the best spot for push toys.

Parking is NOT ideal, and you may need to park along South Venice. Street cleaning days are Monday and Tuesday



Glen Alla Park, Marina Del Rey
http://www.yelp.com/biz/glen-alla-park-marina-del-rey
We visited this park over the long weekend, and it was jam packed! Too big for me and my two on my own though. I cant see across the whole park. I have the same issue at Playa Vista Sports Park. Awesome park.

Mostly rubber floors with a very cool sand area.

I didnt see any parking lot around, so be sure to watch for street cleaning signs when parking on the streets.



Playa Vista Toddler Park, Playa Vista
There is a totally fenced in toddler park at Villosa and Kiyot, in Playa Vista. Right by the dog park. There are two gate entrances, and one play structure, making it much easier than most parks to keep an eye on two kids and to keep them safe.

The floor is all concrete or that rubberized stuff. There is a small area of grass with a few trees as well.

Parking is on the street, and usually there is plenty available. Always watch for street cleaning signs.



Westchester Recreation Center, Westchester
This park is a good fall back park, for us anyway. It is gated, BUT, there are two facility buildings that open into the play area. It seems like the opening and closing doors are too easy for a toddler to slip in/out of, or some creep to come in through. . . too many openings. Part of the enclosed space goes around a corner too, so its not totally visbile.

This park is mostly sand, in the play area, and has some cement by the buildings.

Parking is available in the lot off of Manchester and Georgetown.



Recreation Park, El Segundo
http://www.yelp.com/biz/recreation-park-el-segundo
Today, we ventured south to El Segundo and found this AWESOME and GATED park! My husband and sister in law came along, but its a totally doable park on my own. Ive noticed that a few of the gated parks I have seen are closed off, which is great, but too big for me to see both boys across. This park was a bit bigger, but small enough that I could stand off to the side and see the entire thing. The play structure is gated to the bottom - read, kids cant fall off the bridge as they run across it, and twin mama here is helping the other kid 2 inches too far to catch the falling one.

There is a sand pit as well, so its a good park for shovels and buckets! There is plenty of concrete as well.

There is a parking lot with ample parking.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome list!! If you ever get bored and want to try something a little farther South, I know a few awesome gated parks down in Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo.

    ReplyDelete